“Picturebook Layout” is a chapter I contributed to the forthcoming Routledge Companion to Picturebooks, edited by Bettina Kümmerling-Meibauer. Expected publication date, 2018.
A Family of Readers: The Book Lover’s Guide to Children’s and Young Adult Literature (Candlewick 2011), edited by Roger Sutton and Martha Parravano of the Horn Book. This definitive resource for parents interested in enriching the reading lives of their children includes my essay “Reading about Families in My Family.”
Guest Reviewer and Contributor to the Horn Book
Follow these links for a chronology of the pieces I’ve written for the Horn Book, some of which appeared in print, while others were online content:
- “Calling Caldecott: The Book of Mistakes by Corinna Luyken,” (posted October 10, 2017)
- “Seeing the Grey: Reading Molly Bang’s The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher with Children” (posted on the BGHB at 50 microsite, August 15, 2017)
- A New Place You’ll Go: Opening Day at the Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museum (online post on the Family Reading blog, June 14, 2017)
- Auggie and Her, Jess’s Dad and Me (online post on the Family Reading blog, December 19, 2016)
- Becoming a “Better Witness for What’s Beautiful”: Reading Last Stop on Market Street with Children” (Online post, July 1, 2016)
- Waiting by Kevin Henkes, (Online post on the “Calling Caldecott 2016” blog, December 2015)
- “Children, Children What Do You See?” was the title for an excerpt from Reading Picture Books with Children, including an introduction from Martha Parravano (November/December 2015)
- #WeGotDiverseAwardBooks: Reflections on Awards and Allies (July/August 2015)
- In Defense of Gentle Men (online post, February 18, 2015)
- Words for Flora’s Mother (and Other Imperfect Parents) (May/June 2014)
- Faith in Reading (November/December 2013)
- 2012 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Books in My Home(January/February 2013)
- O Christmas Books! (Nov./Dec 2011) Reposted with commentary from Kitty Flynn on the Family Reading Blog 12/5/2016
- Dave the Potter and Stevie the Reader (July/August 2011)
- Coming Home to Books (May/June 2011)
- The Boy Ramona (May/June 2010)
- Home Security (January/February 2010)
- Reading about Families in My Family (May/June 2008)
Staff Blogger for EmbraceRace
“EmbraceRace is an emerging, multiracial, online community of parents, teachers, and other caring adults striving to engage race in a healthy, constructive and courageous way as we nurture the children in our care.”
I am a Staff Blogger with Embrace Race, and here are my posts to date–feel free to share on social media! And if you sign up for Medium you can like and comment on my work and the work of other Embrace Race writers:
- Wanting to Give the World to My Children (Or, How It Felt to Send My Black Son and Daughter Abroad This Summer) (September 6, 2017)
- “(Almost) The Only Brown People at the Reunion: Raising Children of Color in a Predominantly White Extended Family” (July 30, 2017)
- “The Gifts of a Not-So-White Christmas” (December 20, 2016)
- “Living with This” (November 11, 2016)
- “I’ve Never Had a White Baby Before…” (October 4, 2106)
- “Reading Mike Jung’s Unidentified Suburban Object Part II: In which an alien inspires reflections on transracial adoption” (August 19, 2016)
- Reading Mike Jung’s Unidentified Suburban Object with My Kids Part I: In which we talk about confronting “weird questions” (or racial microagressions) with a little help from…an alien (July 26, 2016)
- Real Sisters and Brothers (June 17, 2016)
- My Responses and Yours to “The Tiresome Question I’m Often Asked About My Brown Kids: “Where Are They From?” (May 26, 2016)
Reposted by The New York Observer (June 1, 2016)
- The Tiresome Question I’m Often Asked About My Brown Kids: “Where Are They From?” (April 29, 2016)
Reposted by The Huffington Post (May 2, 2016)
Reposted by The New York Observer (May 4, 2016)
Reposted by Imperfect Life (May 27, 2016)
Reviewer and Guest Contributor for Kirkus Reviews
- My essay “Teaching and Writing for Inclusive Excellence” was included in the special Diversity Issue, published on August 1, 2017, which introduced the Kirkus Collections initiative. My piece was the lead feature posted on Kirkus‘s site on October 10, 2017.
- Reviews at Kirkus are unsigned, but I contribute about 75 reviews of picture books and early readers each year.
Selected Publications in Other Journals and Newspapers:
Reading While White
- “Spotlight on #OwnVoices: Hey Black Child by Useni Eugene Perkins and Bryan Collier,” posted September 25, 2017.
- “Alongside, Not Despite: Talking about Race and Settler Colonialism in a Children’s Literature Graduate Course” posted April 27, 2017
Hilltown Families Supporting Education through Community Engagement in Western Massachusetts
- “Children, Children, What Do You See?” A Whole Book Approach to Reading Picture Books with Children posted December 12, 2016
Charlesbridge Children’s Book Blog
- Happy Birthday Dear Book! Reading Picture Books with Children One Year Later, posted November 3, 2016
- Notes from the Fay B. Kaigler Children’s Book Festival at the University of Southern Mississippi, posted April 29, 2016
Children & Libraries the journal of the Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC)
- Gutter Talk and More: Picturebook Paratexts, Illustration, and Design at Storytime in the Winter 2010 edition, adapted from my June 2010 ALSC preconference keynote speech
- InFORMed Reading: Evaluating and Using Picture Books, Beginning Reader Books and Illustrated Books in the Winter 2006 edition
The Public Humanist, an online blog journal of the Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities.
- “A Feast for the Eyes and Food for the Soul: Visiting The Carle with My Daughters” posted September 23, 2010
- “Choosing Heartbreak over Heartshrink: Reading History with Children” posted February 8, 2010
- “’I Am Your Child—So Read with Me!’ Family Reading in an Era of Early Childhood Development Public Education Efforts” posted October 19, 2009 This piece was also picked up by The Boston Herald in their monthly Massachusetts Reads and Succeeds page, 11/19/2009.
- “Of Brown Bears and Mice and Picture Books: Reading Words and Pictures with Children” posted September 18, 2008
The Children’s Literature Association Quarterly
- Review of The Annotated Cat: Under the Hats of Seuss and His Cats Introduction and Annotations by Philip Nel in the ChLAQ Summer 2008 Vol. 33 #2.
- Review of The British Council/British Library’s publication Magic Pencil: Contemporary Children’s Book Illustration in ChLAQ summer 2004 edition.
The Daily Hampshire Gazette
- Response to Nature’s Classroom Underground Railroad Exercise Dec 2006 The Daily Hampshire Gazette, Northampton, MA.
The Five Owls
- Books to Make Children’s Eyes Dance Across the Pages: Music and Children’s Literature (with an annotated bibliography), Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2005 edition of The Five Owls.
- Review of Song of the Water Boatman in Vol. 18 Issue 4 of The Five Owls.
- Review of Steve Jenkins’ Actual Size online Vol. 18 issue 3 edition of The Five Owls.
- Review of Alison’s Jay’s ABC: A Child’s First Alphabet in Spring 2004 The Five Owls.
- Review of Kaethe Zemach’s Just Enough and Not Too Much online Vol. 18 Issue 2 edition of The Five Owls.
- “Slow Down and Look: Educational Programming at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art” co-authored with Rosemary Agoglia in online Fall 2003 Riverbank Review.
CREArTA (Journal of the Centre for Research and Education in the Arts, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia)
- Paint that Funky Music White Boy:Chris Raschka’s Charlie Parker Played Be Bop, The Genie in the Jar, Mysterious Thelonious, and John Coltrane’s Giant Steps in Vol. 3 No. 2 Southern Summer 2002/2003 edition of CREArTA.
- I presented the same paper about Chris Raschka’s jazz picture books at the June 2003 conference of the Children’s Literature Association in El Paso, Texas.
- I also presented this paper at the fall meeting of the Pioneer Valley Reading Council on November 6, 2003.
- Demystification and Wonder: Women and Pregnancy in the Picture Book Illustrations of Julie Vivas Oct./Nov. 2001 edition of Bookbird